After an intense 5 year journey through personal development and growth I was burned out. I overdosed in the very thing that was meant to be my solution.
Over the past summer, I spent countless hours struggling with bouts of depression, existential crisis, feeling listless and unable to get excited about life. I was done doing all of these work. I had lost my voice and my sense of self.
I had to do the very thing that I was afraid to do. I have to stop working so damn hard on myself.
My prescription meant, I had to let go of the following:
- Any and all coaching programs that will provide me with the following: optimize my living experience, help me lose weight once and for all, help me get a relationship, as a business provide me with the million dollar formula, the perfect way to attract clients, the right exercises to share for their own personal growth.
- I had to stop trying to fix my problems by seeking solutions outside of myself.
- Stop the cycle of compare and despair with other entrepreneurs. I needed to let go of the idea of who I think I should be as a coach/entrepreneur, what is the perfect program that will fix my clients pain points.
- I can ask for minimum outside help in the following areas: money, my food history, and my relationship with love. However the bulk of the work will come from doing less and allowing for magic to come in.
- Stop seeking sponsorship, working another round of steps, etc.
- Let go of the obligations over the things that I should be doing in order to be a good girl/get fixed.
- Stop going to so many meetings, working too many programs
As I slowed down, I started to notice life around me. I found myself back in the therapist couch sharing my daily life routines, my gripes that for so long I avoided sharing because I was afraid I would continue to perpetuate the same cycle of despair. I got honest about what is really going on with my thought patterns, my food, my decision-making abilities. First things first, I had to make an hour a day to do absolutely nothing. The next step stopped booking myself solid. I said no commitments. I chose to stay more time in my neighborhood. I gave in to my craving of sleep, quiet time and just being.
I found myself having these magical authentic connection with peers and mentors who for so long I admire. My generosity continue because it was inspired action no longer from a place of duty. Money was flowing effortlessly. Life started to get easier.
Most importantly, I smashed the very upper limit that once thought it was WooWoo/Urban myth you can be full of love, radical acceptance and wisdom within you. The “empty” hole in your soul can be full.
As we gear up to the end of the world on Friday, I dare you to take the time to do the very thing that your soul is asking you to do. If it means doing less then GO AHEAD I give you permission. If you need an accountability, feel free to shoot me an email at laura [at] joyfulshimmy.com.