A month ago I shared about my decluttering project, my goal was to get rid of 25-50 things per month.
Well September, I met the goal and some! I release a total of 83 things. I feel lighter, energized and ready to tackle some more.
My September Game Plan
I spend a total of 1 hour in completing this task. I broke it down to two days and major areas that were literally spilling over.
- Workout Clothes and a couple of random knick-knacks living in my closet
For about a year, I had a MagHound subscription which meant regular delivery of magazines for the fraction of the cost. Over the period of 3 years, I’ve accumulated about 100+ magazines.
For some reason, I found it hard to let go of the magazines. I held on to them so I can do vision boards (i.e. “grown up” collages) and that I can use it at my old job for activities. For 2013, I realized a couple of things vision board as collages don’t work for me and I left that old job behind. It meant letting go of all of the magazines.
However, I am not going to let go of my magazine habit cold turkey so I found a compromise by doing the following:
- Opted for Digital subscription of US Weekly. I found the digital subscription to be cheaper, reliable as it gets deliver to my iPad (great when I am traveling).
- Started to use Pinterest as a space to make my “digital collages”/creations
- Accepted that vision boards (at least for me) were not an effective tool for manifestation
My focus was to keep only the clothes that fit and I would wear to barre class. I released the cotton based tops and bottoms, things that had stained spots and other things that I would never wear.
Next Steps – 90 Day Challenge
I decided that it is time to take things up a notch and release a total of 300 things. I am breaking it down to a manageable 100 things per month.
Why? As I spend more time in my room, I noticed how much all of the things that no longer serves me are weighing me down. I believe it is time that do some major cleansing. I am ready to create the space for things that I really want/need or love.
My Action Plan:
- Getting rid of an Ikea Armoire (+ identifying what thinks I should keep/release/let go). Posting it on Craigslist/Freecycle – Hudson County
- Tackle more of my magazine pile
- Go over the top storage area in my walking closet which is full of things that I have not touched over the past 5 years since I moved to this apartment
- Trash drawer where I store papers, cords and everything in between
- Go over the books section of one of my big shelves
*NOTE/Frequently Asked Question: Does paper count in the decluttering project?
Not in my project per se. I know I have accumulated a lot of papers over time but for the purpose of this project I will only count it as one thing