It is no secret that I have gone through a period of transformation that is coupled with the internal psyche changed that occurred as a result of doing the work for the past 6 years. I now live in a space of acceptance, abundance and enjoy choices and freedom that I never thought it would be possible. All good stuff.
Yet too many choices can lead to paralysis. As a type A do-er, I crave structure and direction. I thrive on knowing at least the big picture where I am heading as it allows me then to experiment with the how. That’s just my thing.
Sounding Board – Asking for Help
A few months ago, I met up with Jess Lively for a session on Purpose + Intention focusing on my life. I needed a sounding board to brainstorm and sift through what is my big picture vision.
Jess as always is perfect for this type of task. She is an outside perspective who walks her talk and lives a life with intention.
After our session, I was able to clearly see that what I need was big picture priorities that would dictate what’s the next step. The “new” priorities include: Me, Relationships and Play.
1. Me (Foundation)
I strongly follow the Al-Anon slogan/principle to shift the focus back on myself. This by far the most generous gift I can give to myself and those around me as I am able to be my best self. I have learned how meet my own needs, ask for help, be present, generous and my authentic self.
This also means shifting the spotlight back on me and what I can change and control and taking responsibility with how I live my life.
How does this priority look like in the everyday life?
- Regular movement practice – 25 minute walk each day, barre class
- Home cooked meals, while increasing the water & veggie intake
- Major decluttering of the physical and emotional stuff that no longer serves me
- Embracing my style; learning how to wear make-up
- Regular morning writing ritual
- Sleeping a minimum of 8 hours
- Going unplugged after 7pm * imperfect boundaries 🙂
- Family: In my case continue to be present and strengthening our relationship.
- Friendships: The way I see it is a continue to focus on nourishing, loving relationships that are drama free. I am learning that is just as important for me to share what is going on (to the right people) and asking for help.
- Romantic: This looks like dating and being open to be in a romantic relationship.
No worries over the next couple of months I will expand upon the friendships area and perhaps a bit of dating (but not too much). Sorry peeps the family stuff is off limits!
After leaving the job, I knew I needed a paradigm shift on how I spend my days. I thought why not approach my business. blog and other areas in life through a more playful perspective. This calls to be present, take action but don’t take myself so seriously. Make room for creativity and imagination 🙂
- Business: Continue to transition my consulting work into full-time career. This means focusing on being present to my clients whether is strategy, mentoring and even project management. I get to be inspired by the work the I do and by what my clients are creating.
- Blog: Maintaining a regular blogging schedule of posting new content 3 times per week and focusing on building a healthy loving community. Keeping in mind that the blog is a full-on business blog nor lifestyle blog. The blog for me is my creative space to share where I at, what I am learning and what inspires me.
- Mastering a new skill per quarter: for the fall 2013 it means running! It’s been on my list for years and I think it is time to just commit and get through the beginners hump. As I mentioned in the “Me” category style and learning how to use make-up are also big priority for this quarter.
I know for many of you, looking at your life on paper such as this can be overwhelming. This method works for me as it provides clarity, guidance and is a visual reminder of what matters to me a my core. It pulls me out of autopilot. Allows me to make decisions that works for me.
In the next few weeks, I will share a bit about the process on how I broke things apart, created an action plan that I do follow through fully.
I want to hear from you, what’s your method to your madness when it comes to establishing what matters to you? How do you go about going forward with what you want? Are you interested in receiving support in this area?